Bedding in Barrel

The area for discussion on tuning and technical aspects of race scooter preperation
Jonn

Bedding in Barrel

Post by Jonn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:58 pm

I have a steel lined TS1 240 fitted to my sprinter.I recently had a rebore and new piston. What's the best practice for bedding in the barrel ? I did a few steady runs at Santa Pod before a sprint meeting . The barrel 'caught' in a couple of runs later in the day and I stopped just to be safe. On stripping it down the new honing marks had worn away around the inlet and exhaust ports. about 1/2 inch all round the exhaust.I use Rock oil synthesis 2 between 3 and 4 %. Could fuel starvation contribute ? Its been dynoed and its ok but upjetted it a bit anyway. Any info appreciated its not fun racing knowing it might go tits up .

fairspares
BSSO Member
BSSO Race number: 116

Re: Bedding in Barrel

Post by fairspares » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Jonn, being a steel liner it will require a longer running in period than a nikasil plated barrel, has piston to bore clearance and ring gaps been checked? As for fuel starvation depending on the carb used have you changed the fuel vavle to a larger size to suit.

Jonn

Re: Bedding in Barrel

Post by Jonn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi,piston and ring clearance is good,running a 34 vhsb upped the jetting a lot for next meeting.Been told its because its a short piston ,but others have said this is b@ll@cks. I use rock oil synthesis 2 but Im trying Maxima K2.Though this reduces wear which I dont want at the moment,and having nowhere to run it in its frustrating.