Hi Pete Lee (swan Of Avon SC 1963-1970

New here? Tell us about yourself... or just say Hello!
Pete Lee

Hi Pete Lee (swan Of Avon SC 1963-1970

Post by Pete Lee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi to all, Blast from the past to some of you older ones.
I was in the Swan of Avon SC from 1963 to , well I supposed as an honorary life member if the club was still going, to date.
I rode many scooters as well as working on hundreds more from Lambretta, Vespa, Durkopp, DKW, Moto Rumi, Heinkle, Triumph and BSA, even a (Messerschmitt bubble car), Lambretta UK was kind enough to put up with me for a while as I learnt my skills on customers bikes and help build such dream machines as the J125 Aqua scooter that nearly sank at the Southend Rally. and then Dennis Mortalman had me as #2 mechanic with a Roy Coalville at Scooter Mobile where we developed the Hyperformance Lambretta racing parts. I also was responsible for tuning many scooters including Bob Leadhams 225 and building him a (the 1st) Vega 125 conversion in conjunction with Beauchamp Motors, Leamington Spa for the 1966 IOM rally.
I started my fascination with scooter in 1963 when I bought a Capri 80 for £4, (he wanted £8 but I argued it needed a lot of work). I rode the works Capri in the IOM completing the marathon with a bust speedo and a blown crank seal which made the bike do a tank per lap! Paul Lumly of scooter world rode the 50cc and the Emerson Bros rode there 125 Capris. Bob bent the 125 Vega anf we had to bodge some none standard head race bearings in so he could not only continue but get home, (with a bit of help from British Rail).
In 1969 I built one of the first kneeler outfits with a 198cc engine and soon modified it to 225cc with a fairing and racing parts made for motorcycles, (#8), we had a great time with Colin Townsend as passenger until a blown piston at Mallory whilst giving Geoff Burnhill a lesson in disappearing down Steeb Straight and a big row about people messing with the engine and fitting lawn mower plugs instead of repairing the fairing bent at Lydden the month before led to a break up of not only the tem but the outfit. I rode in a few solo 150 races but eventually tempted by money I switched to semi pro trials riding for Rex Judd's on a Clive Mills Honda 125T and the next year for Windsor Comp Shop on an Ossa 250 until I 'retired' from motor sport in 1972 when I got married.
I worked in many firms over the years including the Ken Rickard in Golders Green, Bob Thomas, Finchley Road, Sondel Sport, Dunstable Motors (Honda), Ken Kay Kawasaki and then as K motorcycles, Luton and Neil Frazer Gloucester when we had a rain soaked indoor ruin in Barton Street before he got rich and famous, (by working 20 hours a day 6 days a week).
I now live in Estepona, Spain and retired, (finally) and play with my kit car and Suzuki AN400X, (when the wife allows me to).
Sorry for such a long intro, you should see the book that coming. ;-)
Wisdom isn't knowing everything, it's knowing where to find the answers.

paulmgreen
Site Admin
BSSO Race number: 49

Re: Hi Pete Lee (swan Of Avon SC 1963-1970

Post by paulmgreen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for that Pete - great stories - have you any pictures from those times?
***Replay Scooters - Tuning by Chalky White ***

paul63mod

Post by paul63mod » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 am

great anecdotes Pete , i want to read that book when it's printed! ;) as a sidenote i have been to Estapona many times as my parents lived there and owned Bentleys bar in the 80's which was just outside on the main road to Peurto Banus i wonder if it is still there? :D i remember finding an old Servetta 150 under a block of flats just behind the beach , looked like it had not moved for years but sadly it was not for sale :(

Pete Lee

Post by Pete Lee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Check out the photos on my facebook
http://tinyurl.com/b2sehgj

or Photobucket albums.
http://tinyurl.com/bbwb7gj
and
http://tinyurl.com/a8n356k

On my 'bucket list' is to own another all white 1968 SX200, I loved that scooter. Saw one on Ebay last month, I think it was £6,800 as new. Wouldn't mind rebuilding one back from the dead though myself. (again)

Pete Lee

Post by Pete Lee » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:58 pm

paul63mod wrote:great anecdotes Pete , i want to read that book when it's printed! ;) as a sidenote i have been to Estapona many times as my parents lived there and owned Bentleys bar in the 80's which was just outside on the main road to Peurto Banus i wonder if it is still there? :D i remember finding an old Servetta 150 under a block of flats just behind the beach , looked like it had not moved for years but sadly it was not for sale :(
Any time your in the area of Marbella or Estepona give me a shout on 666401528.Peter

Pete Lee

Post by Pete Lee » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Just found these guys, I could nearly afford that if I sold both my BMW and my Mercedes Cosworth And the AN400 :|
http://www.retroscooterium.es/scooters/ ... sx200.html

Ukhozi

Post by Ukhozi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:51 pm

I know it's been a while but my old account died so I'm back. yes I am still alive and kicking at 72. and still cranking a spanner on the buggys, now bigger 550cc jobs from CFMOTO.

Anyway. I digress, as usual. I found the Capri scooter club GB and it bought back many happy memories, not least my first love and pillion, Diana, on my first scooter Capri 70 1963.

So I also penned some memories from the 60s, before some of your father were even born but it's all good.
so;

Hi all, Came across the Capri Club totally by chance and it bought back so many memories. mostly good. I was a ("notable") Capri rider from day one back in 1963 when I bought a Capri 70 for 4 pounds in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. I then moved to Stratford on Avon where Bob Leedham got me to join the Swan of Avon Scooter Club which I remained an active member of until I entered the motorcycle trials world in 1972 and as far as I know am still an honoury member.

I entered the IoM week in 1969 I think it was, on a "works" Capri 80 borrowed from Agrati in Nottingham after my Capri 80 special was damaged by a drunk driver on my way up to Bates Dam hill clime. I still remember the Emmerson brothers and I working until the wee hours in their garage bodging it up and fitting spare cables etc so I could continue the next day. thanks guys.

So despite having had all my cable chopped off at the head stock and right rear damper broken I did quite well but on the way to Nottingham and Stratford the crank snapped and the flywheel fell off so that was that, I stripped off the Smiths 'chrono' speedo and dumped the poor Capri in a lay-by and hitched a lift to Nottingham where I was going to sleep in the Agrati lorry but a guy living over the works gave me a bed for the night. Next day I blagged the 'works' Capri 98 from Agrati and off I went back to Stratford where the carb' fell off, so I thought, hmmm, better check this over and tune it up.

Then a week later as number 100 it was off to the IoM week with best mate Bob Leedham on his Lambretta 125 Vega special I built from Starstream internals into the Vega case, I still maintain that was the first one, although a couple of other did appear. I had an 'eventful' week with the Emmerson Brothers on their 125s and Peter Lumley of Scootering and lightweights on the 50, (big guy, little scooter), Lumley and the Emmerson's had a good 'Manx' gaining medals but I had a blown left oil seal and was drinking fuel to the extent I ran out of tokens to refuel by the time it was getting dark and the speedo cable broke, so it was just a case of drive flat out and hope for the best. lucky for me some club members had finished or packed it in and had some spare so I was not only serviced by a 'pit crew' but fuelled up each lap as well to receive a finishers certificate.

Bob did well too and within time. On the Peel Hill clime I did OK but only after fitting a Vespa small end and a Lambretta oil seal. Both my Capri and Bob's Vega were so buggered up we had to get the train back to Stratford. Competing against Nev and Bev on imported Lambretta 125 GPs by Arthur Francis was impossible. Open my return I bought a Capri 100 which served me well until I gave into the 'dark side' and bought a Vespa SS, red of course. a year later, disillusioned by the Vespa, even with Wal Philips fuel injection, I bought a Lambretta SX200, all white and that was that for a couple of years.

Now days it is an old Suzuki Bergman AN400 (I bought in 1999) I still look back on my scooter days with fondness and the Capri will always hold a dear place in my heart and then there was my first pillion and first love, Diane, Hmmm. Happy days.

I also found a web site selling NEW Lambrettas for under 3K in Thailand. including what looks like a SX200.